Recently the executive team here at Miva Direct had a phenomenal offsite meeting. We were disciplined, focused and produced a comprehensive agenda for Q1 that thus far has been a huge success. I’m really proud of the team, and I thought I’d share some of the outline I presented prior to the meeting to help keep us on point.
- Define 4 Key Elements
- Define roles and responsibilities
1. Define 4 key elements
- Defining and organizing the project
- Define the projects objectives as clearly as possible.
- Organize the right people and all necessary resources around the objectives
- Planning the project ie, given our objective. What set of tasks must we complete? -GHANT chart etc
- Managing project execution – should we name a project manager to oversee all execution/timelines etc?
- Closing down the project – What went well – what went badly – should we do this quarterly etc.
2 .Define roles and responsibilities
- Championing the project at the highest level
- Clearing away organizational obstructions
- Providing the resources required for success
- Communicating effectively with CEO about our progress
- Recruit effective participants
- Provide framework for the projects activities – timelines
- Keep vision clear
- ID resources
- Mediate conflicts
- Manage budget
- Ensure everyone contributes and benefits
- Keep work on track
- Assure goals are delivered on time and on budget
Project Leader (s) –
Emphasize the higher-level goals of Miva Direct and how successful team action will contribute to them.
- Emphasize how the other party will benefit by helping the project – ie, product team will benefit if each of our ideas generate revenue
- Regularly communicate progress and problems with Project Manager
- Periodically assess team progress, the outlook of members (morale) and how each member views his or her contribution (we need to be aware of how product feels)
- Do a share of the work
- Resist the urge to act like a “boss”
Our offsite while arduous proved to be one of the most effective things our team has done to date.
I’ll keep you posted on our execution of proposed tactics.